Thursday 11 September 2014

OH THAT HUG!!!


It was a beautiful Saturday morning how can I ever forget. I woke up as usual and got dressed for work (I had a report due for Monday to finish). All dressed up but within me I know all was not well with my heart. I struggled the whole of that week at work. I was going through stuff I had to make a decision, a life changing one for that matter one of the hardest I have had to make to this day. As I walked out of the compound where I lived, I didn't notice I was walking in the opposite direction. where in God's name am I going to? this is not the direction to the bus stop as I pondered, I looked up and saw Nengi's house (Nengi is my friend). I can't tell you what I was doing there that morning because I was not supposed to be there. well here I am I said to myself and walked right into her room.


As I  walked in, I saw a big bowl of well prepared pap a.k.a AKAMU smoldered in rich evaporated peak milk with fried plantain and egg by the side. Hmmmm that was not why I was there, I was broken and in need of something I myself don't know. Immediately she saw me, she said "my friend I know you didn't get any sleep last night" she walked up to me and gave me the biggest hug ever.

We hugged for like what seemed to me like ever with her whispering to my ears saying "everything was going to be fine trust me. you are a good woman and you don't deserve this, but remember I am always here for you" Very re-assuring right? perhaps that is comforting for someone going through stuff abi?  but naa Truth be told I did not want to hear her talk because the hug was just what I needed. Those words didn't make any sense to me at the time however, what did Make sense even to this day was....... yes you guessed right THE BIG BEAR HUG. 

That hug resurrected me, it was the best pain killer anyone in my shoes could have asked for and the therapy I so yearned for. The hug was enough to lift my spirit as I heard her say " See oo we dey here dey hug the akamu don turn to agidi abeg carry spoon". We finished our bowl of akamu and fell asleep only to be woken up by mummy (Nengi's mum) who had just returned from church sanitation work. 

Sometimes, words are not re-assuring enough for what we are going through. A genuine, unsolicited, from the heart bear hug always works magic. OH THAT HUG, that simple act of kindness from my friend is one that is ever green in my mind. Today I am sending you a bear hug to congratulate you if you are celebrating anything, to help soothe your pain letting you know that everything will be OK. Be generous with you hugs and kisses you never know (Don't make excuses with Ebola ooo lol)...

Sharon xxx.

PHOTO CREDIT: Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...