Thursday 8 September 2016

LABELS BREAKS EVEN THE STRONGEST PERSON

Hey guys!
Have you ever been LABELLED? I mean I'm sure you've been in a situation where you felt awkward .... like the ground should open and swallow you up ... or having a feeling of shame, disgust, pain, anxious ...... because of what someone somewhere said to you. Hmmm well, welcome to my world Oh no! our world because we are in this together.

At one point or the other, we have all been labelled or called one thing or the other. Fat, black, too black, yellow pawpaw, blind, deaf, paralysed, ugly, lanky ..... and the list goes on.

If care is not taken, all of the name calling and labelling can affect your self esteem, reduce your worth in your mind and drive you to a state of depression. 

I have been on this 'label' road a lot of times. People only choose to see what they want to see and for most people, they have only chosen to see my paralysed leg, the struggle I encounter when walking and the fact that I can't do most things while in motion. 

Well, it is their problem not mine because I am more than the who limps while walking. I am made up of my personality and a lot more. Society says I cannot be successful because I am undesirable, weak, suffering, broken and needed to be fixed. Hahaha Society labels us all into categories from our race to our weight to our sexuality to our disability and I can only but ask WHY?

We are more than those labels and definitely more than our personal struggles and the demons we fight on a daily basis because has something in them that makes them uncomfortable, that flaws them, something they want to run away from or cover up. 

I feel like these labels will disappear and and become inconsequential when we keep pushing 'society set boundaries' and believe more in ourselves, strengths and abilities and appreciating and coming to terms with our weakness which in my opinion is 'beauty' on it's own.

You see, this my leg simply gets me to where I need to go at it's own pace (It has a mind of it's own lol) and helps me move around the world in a different way. My struggles ..... Your struggles too have helped shape us into the person we have become today BUT! they don't DEFINE us.

If you have a dream, vision, goal, passion, talent ..... pursue them fervently. Do listen to people who think you can't do it because you have a disability, or that you look different, or that you are a single mum/dad, or that you are struggling financially, or that you don't have the right qualifications or backgrounds .... Whatever it is, whatever your disadvantage may be, just go for it! Push yourself like your life depends on it and know that you can make anything happen for yourself and others.

Please don't get me wrong. I know life is cruel and hard sometimes and admit 'life is not fair' and at the end of the day, we are just humans trying to survive, strive and succeed to have a better life.

As for me, I am committed to believing and chasing my dreams and I really hope you do the same because the only way to make your dreams come through is to CREATE them in the first place. I have come to realise that labels breaks even the strongest persons if too much attention is given to it.

Everything starts off as a dream that can become a reality. Join me let's laugh at society and show them we can do life even in the mist of the 'labels' 

This is for you if you label people. Remember, your life won't be better if you keep labeling people just to feel good about yourself. 
What kind of labels have you received lately? Please share.

Sharonxxx     

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...