Wednesday 21 February 2018

NOW THAT YOUR CHILD IS HERE PART 2.

When it comes to raising children with disabilities, each family's experience is different. It is different because the training, care and support will be dependent on the level of the severity of the child's disability. Once the level of disability is classed, clear and defined, it becomes a little easier to deal with. 

In my previous post, I talked about the emotions that comes with discovering knowing that all is not well with your child to raising a child living with disability. Emotionally, the situation affects everyone involved including the child. 

Now moving forward from when it is established that your child has a disability, setting a balance can sometimes be very challenging. On the road to independence, parents have to get the balance right for their child because they will not always be there for them. Remember, you did not get the chance to ask for what type of child come into your life neither the the child asked to be in yours. God chose to make that happen for all of you.

The life I live now is as a result of the map my parents drew up for me. The foundation they built and taught me to follow through and build on it. Had they not given me the right amount of support, I don't know where I'd be today. 
So now that your child is here with their unique abilities, features and challenges, now that you cannot do anything about their being on earth through you, can you strip yourself of all the unhealthy emotions that has plagued you and hindered you from moving forward and just find new ways of helping build your child's live towards leading an independent life?

I am not saying it will be easy. All i'm saying is that you should start taking steps towards the right direction for your child's sake because your child is already here. 

Read around your child's diagnosis, find new and effective ways to care for your child, talk and educate people about your child's disability, connect with other parent's with children with disability, join a support group if there's non, start one. Ask for help. Get help!....

I know sometimes it is pretty much impossible to have complete peace of mind about your children's future disabled or not but it is essential that you have HOPE after you have done all you can. 

Despite the enormous support I get from my parents, they are sometimes worried about certain milestone I haven't yet achieved. Like getting married and having a baby as well as other stuff I dream about accomplishing.   

The feeling is not out of place because they are what makes you human. Live each day as it comes knowing that you have done your best and like I love to say, the universe will thank you for it. 

Now that your child is here, love, care, support and don't forget to LIVE.

Hug, Love & Peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...