Thursday 14 June 2018

I GREW UP IN THE MARKET.


Yes I did. 
I know so many children in my days that grew up in front of the television, in the living room. Some played different types of games after school etc.
Did I watch TV and play sometimes? Yes I did but most of my time as a teenager was spent in my parents shop.
After school, I'll branch off to the market. I will do all my school related work under the watchful eyes of my mother. After that, I'll change my dress and eat something. Next is to watch and sell.
My mom used to sell ladies ready made dresses, gowns, shirts and jackets etc. (she still does) at the popular mile 1 market in Portharcourt.
My parents had more than one shop then so, there's always this back and forth movement from one shop to another getting goods to satisfy a customer.
To some neighbors, it was wickedness to bring a special child like me into the busy market. To be honest, a lot of people didn't like it so their tongues wagged.

So one day I had the conversation with my parents on why I had to always branch the market from school. My parents yes both of them together in our living room had below to say.
"Ify, we love you. We have sent you to school to learn how to read and write. To know more about the things we don't know academically and we are willing to train you to any level you want to get to BUT! We also want to arm you and your siblings with other skills because this is life, no body knows tomorrow. You are already armed with knowledge at school and in business".
Yes they prepared me for the world and I learnt a lot from them. Here are some skills I learnt from going to the market.
-Communication skills
-Negotiation skills
-Assertiveness skills I'm not passive at all.
-Marketing and sales
-Persuasion
-Emotional intelligence
-Basic accounting
-FBI lolźzzzz .... you have to look out for thieves naa
Customer service, relationship management and appreciation
-I also learnt how to deal with rejection
-I learnt how to be persistent
-I learnt how to treat people for who they are 'human'
-I learnt how to deal with and resolve conflict
-I learnt how to save money
-How to manage and run a business
-I know where to get the right goods for the right price. I sabi road to Aba and Onicha. Na Lagos remain lol.
-I sabi the best mama put in the market too.
I learnt so much about business, people, behavior, culture, perception .........
Most importantly, I learnt about LIFE!
You see, LIFE is like the market. After buying and selling we will all go. Not everyone comes at the same time, not everyone go at the same time and most importantly, not everyone sells nor buy the same thing at the same level.
Touch lives. Be a blessing. Smile and win in your own world.
To special needs mom and dad, depending on the severity of your child's disability, gift them as much skills and education as possible.
Each time I have the opportunity to share with parents of special needs children or the children themselves, I gift them my story and open their minds to endless possibilities of the blessedness skills and talent can bring.

Love. Light and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...