Friday 12 August 2016

NEW POLIO CASES DISCOVERED IN NIGERIA ... SAD!!!

Nigerian Minister of Health Professor Isaac Adewole, confirmed the out break of two new cases of polio virus in Borno State, Nigeria.

Reading this news on The Guardian News Paper yesterday broke my heart. I am a polio survivor. I live with it's effect and damage on a daily basis just like countless others. This shouldn't be happening in this generation ..... I mean this is 2016 people!!! 

According to the Minister, 'The discovery and confirmation of the outbreak was as a result of strengthened surveillance due to improved accessibility' ***Me rolling my eyes***

Nigeria for the past two years have gone polio free. I remember discussing this with some friends and they all said it was a good development. I was happy but sad at the same time because I questioned our ability as a nation sustaining the record. Hearing this sad news just brought tears to my eyes.

The only way to end polio virus is to increase it's awareness and sensitization especially in the rural areas and among health workers. It should be on everyone's lips because we are all advocates. The fact that we broke a record does not mean that we should all fold our hands and watch.   
   
I feel very sad for this children and their families and I hope they have a good life in a country with no provision for persons with disabilities. 

Sharonxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...