Monday 15 August 2016

STORY BEHIND THE AKARA

Happy Monday guys!
So over the weekend something happened and I want to share that experience with you. Are you ready???
You see that photo up there? I didn't make it. I bought it from a woman in her 60's. I came out to clean my corridor when I spotted her carrying a tray filled with bread, a bucket of 'akara' and 'akamu'. 
I beckoned on her to come in and she did. I tasted her akara and loved it and wanted more however, as I chewed on my akara, I noticed sadness and weakness in her eyes. I wanted to know why so I asked her and the following conversation ensued.
Me: Mama why are you hawking this akara?
Mama: My daughter leave ooo life don show me shegge
Me: Tell me, wetin happen? you no get children?
Mama: I born 11 children. 8 boys and 3 woman. hmmm my daughter, 2 of them don die, 1 dey for prison as we they talk so *then she paused*
Me: Mama what of the others?
Mama: With a sad look ... them dey.... even my grand children dey too

I noticed tears clogging her eyes and decided not to question her further instead, I asked everyone around in the compound to come and have akara and bread feast and I paid. I did that just to lighten her load. She made so much sales courtesy of me... lol but in all of this, she blessed me from her heart and said I am a miracle .... She kept praying for me and her joy knew no bound.

Overall, we had so much fun eating our akara and bread and chatting away however, when I went back into my apartment, I dropped a few tears, blessed and thanked God in my heart that I could be a blessing to that mama. I blessed God that I have the heart to bless my parents and finally, I prayed for mama and her family.
  
We don't know how much our parents mean to us until they are gone. I love and cherish my parents so much. I love to see them smile, I love hearing from them because there is so much wisdom in their words .... I love making them happy.

Guys, we need to do more for our parents and senior citizens as individuals, groups and community. It is sad that our governments do not have provisions for our senior citizens in time of crises, when their family can't take care of them and when no one is their for them. 

Do your best bit to senior citizens around you. I intend to pay mama a visit soon and I hope to take gifts with me.

look after your parents .... don't forget them... be a blessing to them.


Sharonxxx

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm... I can't wait to test-run preparing my own Akara.
    This is truly a nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little show of kindness here and there is what the world is missing out on. Thank God for the spirit He has given you to love and help others, (even with the Power of Akara... lol).
    May He continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what sorrow mama is going through. God bless your heart Sharon. Nice blog.


    trendwithgloria.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww this really touched me... Ita good to put smilea in the faces of people it sure goes a long way

    Glowyshoes's blog

    My Facebook

    ReplyDelete

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...