Saturday 30 May 2015

CHILDREN'S DAY REFLECTION.

Hey beautiful!!! yes you reading this you are BEAUTIFUL and more...... Hope you are good? Today, I want to share with you guys my children's day reflection. As you all know, certain events in life can actually take you down memory lane. This was what happened to me on the 27th of May which was children's day.
Image result for reflection
Sitting down on my desk at work, scrolling through my phone and seeing pictures of children at various stadium across the country in their beautiful uniforms, I couldn't help but smile. It was an awkward smile......
VERY awkward because I remember vividly as a child being told every time there was a match pass rehearsal for children's day celebration, I was often told that 'I can't participate' because I have a bad leg. I remember me crying and begging teachers just to let me try........ All I ever wanted was to have a feel of what it feels like to be on the line with other kids. I know I would look funny and odd but to me, that didn't matter. How I would look in the mist of other children was to me as a matter of fact inconsequential......... I just wanted to MATCH.

On one occasion, frustrated I went to my mum crying telling her how wicked my teachers were for not letting me match with other kids. My mum's reply was epic she said "Ify my daughter you will steal all the attention on the day if they let you match" Your teachers are jealous because they already know what will happen on the day. She consoled me and that was how I never bothered my teachers AGAIN.

Thinking about it now as an adult, that was a great injustice, a disservice and my right and privilege as a child denied me by my teachers. I was robbed of one of the most cherished childhood memories every child would like to have in the bag. A 'once upon in my life' memory. It's a shame that my teachers never saw beyond my physical limitations, the only barrier is the fact that I limb........ How about keeping me among the clappers and cheer leading team? How about being in the crowd with other kids and teachers? How about taking me along with other kids to the stadium?.............

A lot of questions ran through my head that day wondering; how many more children with visible disability are left in tears, denied the pleasure of participating, reminded of their physical limitations and are left with no options of how they can be included in schools events and activities such as this. We are often told we "can't" do this activity or that activity" How about teachers being creative with finding new ways of getting every child involved disabled or not. I think we are lacking a great deal in this area. In my opinion, every child deserves the right of participation no matter their physical barriers.

To parents and guardians, don't just console your kids in circumstances like this. Fight for your child's inclusion. If they can't participate in one activity, let them be given another that suits their physical needs...... This issue and many others facing the physically challenged are part of the project am working on. There is something for everyone to do SO THAT NO ONE IS LEFT BEHIND! 
Happy children's day...........

Sharon xxx...

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...