Sunday 30 November 2014

HOW DO YOU??? JUST HOW???


Hey people!!! hope you all are had a great weekend?.... my weekend was very relaxing. I took time out to have some ME time...... my kid sister visited and we had sisters fellowship (gossip of course) lol afterwards, I we did a bit of cooking, cleaning and ehmmm that's it... nothing much again. She left my house this morning back to school while me I went to church. Today's sermon was amazing but that's not the post for today.... gist for another day.
How do you do??? is basically about the funny questions disabled persons get asked every now and then. Some of these questions can be surprising, annoying, painful, stupid, misunderstanding, insulting, provoking, embarrassing, and ehmmm...... thought provoking depending on whom it is coming from. These questions sometimes come from people in the society you would ordinarily think should know better. However, lets not base our judgements on assumption right? 


I and some of my friends (who also have different form of disability) were invited to a dinner somewhere in town. we shared our various challenges and laughed at some of the things people in the society don't understand or can't comprehend about us. We got to the questions people ask... and boy O boy it wasn't funny at all.  Some of the questions are:
How do you take your bath? How do you eat? Can you drive? How do you move around? Do you or can you have sex? Can you get pregnant? Can you get someone pregnant? How do you use the loo? How do you drive?. Do you need to be fed?....... And the list goes on.....

I know what your thinking!!! Sharon do you blame them? my answer is NO!! I don't blame most people simply because they have not stayed around any person with a disability. there view, perception and attitude to disability in this part of the world is very different...... People don't believe you can be independent while living with a disability. They often feel that you need a carer (well some people do depending on the level of their disability).

I want us all to understand that everybody have a way of getting things done..."Normal" or "NOT" This same fact is applicable to persons with "different abilities".... Our only problem is that we are beclouded with PITY!! we allow pity to override our sense of reasoning thereby making us not see beyond the wheelchairs, clutches and any other aid.... Lets try to focus more on the individual, their talent, skills, education, personality and what they have to offer. Society PLEASE STOP making excuses for us and give us a chance to showcase what we've got by creating an INCLUSIVE society. 

Finally, next time before you ask HOW DO YOU? Get close and you will be AMAZED!!!

Sharon xxx..

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...