Tuesday 30 September 2014

MY RAMP RANT!!!....


Hey people! Today please permit me to rant because I am very angry at the state of things in this our obodo Nigeria. Nigeria in less than 48 hours will be celebrating her 54th Independence. What in God's name are we celebrating? I still can't fathom that we still do not have an all inclusive society, a society that people are allowed the freedom to be who they are, a society where people in need get the support they deserve, a society where we have blurred lines between the rich and poor.................



I know we have come a long way as a country. All I am saying is that we can do better simple. we have more expatriates (Nigerians of course) than any other country on the African continent. Funny enough, these individuals occupy big positions in every institution, sector, ministry.......... in this country. so you see human capital is not our problem in fact, we don't have scarce resources in that area at all........ so my people tell me why are things still the way they are?...

Today I visited two of our banking institutions to do some transactions, I looked out for disable access ramp at the entrance of these banks. I found one in one of the banks but, when I looked closely for access door into the banking hall, guess what? there was none. so I struck up a conversation with the one of the security men.

Me: Do you guys have a wheel chair friendly entrance into the bank hall?
Security: Yes but... an officer would usually come outside to attend to any wheelchair person.
Me: I asked him where? 
Security: right here pointing at the point where the ramp stopped. 
Me: of what use is this ramp then?
Security: To gain entrance he replied.

Hmmmmm at this point I was weak to say anyother thing because to me, I was talking to the wrong guy. this is the problem most wheelchair users face. they are practically denied the pleasure to have a feel of carrying out banking transactions for themselves, delegating such responsibility to a family member or to a friend. People don't understand how we feel not been able to do certain things for ourselves because of the accessibility problem we face. We cannot go shopping because even our markets are not designed to accommodate us, we can't take a walk because our streets don't have pavements, most public function buildings are a NO NO, Some of us don't go to school because classrooms are not designed with us in mind. The list goes on.......... Truth be told, we are ANGRY!!!. As this does not just happen in the banking industry alone, it is everywhere public or private. 

With this lack of concern for persons with any form of disability in our society, it is obvious that these institutions don't have disabled people who work in them. How can they work there when they can barely gain entrance into the building. No wonder we have a lot of physically challenged persons unemployed. No sector in Nigeria wants to take a chance with them. They see disabled people as burdens. How sad is that? Even the so called educated ones judge us by our disability even before seeing our abilities, talents, skills and personality. 

Disability is not a disease, it is a situation people live with on a daily basis and can manage on their own given the right tools and support. It won't hurt to make little adjustments in your business premises to allow people the freedom and choice when checking or deciding on your products and services. So guys as we celebrate Nigeria, let us work on the areas we have not done well. 
Let all the OGA'S @THE TOP begin to make room for an all inclusive Nigeria be it public or private.

You can RANT your own ooo over to you people.

1 comment:

  1. hehe.....This is funny...so the attendant has to come on out to attend to them???......Wow!!.....

    ReplyDelete

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...