Saturday 20 February 2016

Danger: Disabled woman with AIDS!



Hi guys..... Hope you all are doing good? I was doing some research on persons  with disability and HIV/AIDS when I stumbled on this article written by Peter Bodo Ong'aro. It so short yet so on point.... very deep yet true. Do not always live your live on assumption when whatever it is has to do
with a vulnerable person better still, DO NOT take advantage of them. Think before you act or you just might get hurt. Happy reading. 

I used to be “double disadvantaged,”
First as a woman, second as one with mobility limitations.
Men viewed me as a safe target.
All roads led towards me for free sex.
Then AIDS’ scourge emerged.
Their ignorant thoughts of me:
“She does not move much.
Slim chance of getting AIDS.”
Now I am triple disadvantaged.
Now I have AIDS.
Now I am the endangered species.
And now we are both in danger.
My appeal is for you, as well as for me:
Do not take advantage.
Do not assume your stereotype will save you.
I am no longer “safe” for your misguided pleasure.

Will your knowing the danger of AIDS protect me from your abuse?

Happy weekend guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...