Tuesday 9 February 2016

My visit to Compassion home Port-harcourt.


Hello People, This is about how I spent my weekend. Okay to the gist! On Saturday 6th February 2016, I went to a special place. It's a home for physically challenged children somewhere In the city of Port-Harcourt. I have been wanting to this this for a long time now but I am glad I finally was able to start what I would call 'A journey of a lifetime' because I do not intend to stop any time soon.
Late last year, I made a decision to start an awareness campaign on disability related issues, social vices, bullying, and generally challenging and changing peoples perception about the 'weak' in our society. My target is about enlightening members of the public especially young people on how to better relate, associate and accommodate persons with disability seeing that disability is not a plague but a part of human existence and experience.

I have a lot up my sleeve in respect to this project. It wont just be about talking to members of the public, but about speaking with other persons with disability and chronic illness. It will be about encouraging, motivating, sharing experiences and generally about lifting one another and becoming more of a community of persons. It's about letting people going through life challenges, those life has happened to know that they are not alone in their struggles.
So I went to Compassion home to:
  1. Familiarize myself with the children
  2. To introduce a part of my project to them
  3. to talk to them about disability generally 
  4. Inform them that there is a world out there outside their safe home
  5. I spoke to them about the importance /need for education in  their circumstance
  6. I gave them practical tips for self love
  7. Had a one on one / question and answer time 
In the end, everyone was happy. I was very happy and excited because I was given an opportunity to make a difference. Some of the kids that spoke to me poured out their heart on how they really feel being disabled. they shared their fears and worries with with and I was able to assure them that everything will be just fine. That assurance alone brought about genuine smiles and lots of hugs. One of the girls said to me: Aunty just seeing you and having you come in to talk to us gives me hope.       That was by far the best Saturday I've had in a long while.
Enjoy some of the photos we took together.




We had the meeting in one of their play rooms filled with toys.

Meet this gorgeous beauty.. Her name is Esther. 
  
Clean environment.. very CLEAN and TIDY

 Wheelchair Ramp

Accessible ramps for easy movement.
I want to say a big thank you to Sister Pauline for the opportunity given me to share with these angels. I will certainly come again. Stay tuned and watch this space. There is so much more coming. Kisses to everyone.

Sharonxx

1 comment:

  1. Good Work Sharon. Please can we get the bank account details for Compassion home? I have been there several times myself and have seen first hand the great work being done by Sister Pauline and her team.

    ReplyDelete

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...