Wednesday 24 February 2016

Understanding disability

Beautiful me...
People in this world have different levels of functioning that should not be judged only based on their physical appearance. A young man approached me on my way home from an event and asked if he could pray with me. I asked him why and for what reason? He said he was led by the Holy Spirit while looking fiercely at my leg  Me: Hmmmm thanks but NO thanks but pray in your heart I believe God will hear you. I walked away from him asking myself; how on earth did we get to this point? 

I am not against prayers or the fact that God leads people. My problem with this type of persons with mentality like that of the young man is simple 'It is about my leg'. If am not asked to be prayed for, I get money thrown at me or I hear them sing the eyaa song or having them say 'I dey do this for you because of your leg oo'........... I am just tired of the bullshit.

Disability goes beyond the physical or it's visibility thereof. It is not just about the wheelchair, cane, crutches, paralysis, the deaf blind man, the physical disfigurement and evidence etc. Rather, disability goes way beyond the physical and it is not meant to happen to selected few in fact, disability is a part of human existence and experience. According to a UN World Report on Disability (2011), "almost everyone will be disabled temporarily or permanently impaired at some point in life and those who survive old age will experience increasing difficulties functioning". Hence, most families nuclear or extended have or will have a disabled member. Also, a lot of non-disabled people now take responsibility of caring and supporting a disabled person as a chosen career or is responsible for a family member or friend with a disability. 

Disability therefore is any continuing condition (visible or invisible) that restricts everyday activities. It is dynamic, multidimensional and complex. As dynamic as it is, it is an interaction between health conditions, contextual factors that are both personal and environmental. The word disability then is an umbrella term for activity limitations, impairments and participation restrictions. So yes a person may appear very health yet disabled.

Finally, the role of physical, attitudinal and social barriers projects disability differently and leaves behind different attitudes and perceptions in the minds of people. These barriers can make it difficult for persons with disability to transition from one level in their in their journey to another (medical, structural and environmental), these barriers might also hinder the process of owning and coping with their challenges as their disabilities evolve. Yes disability evolve with time and to make progress towards helping people understand and make sense of this fact, improvement on social awareness and participation, involvement and inclusion of disabled or non-disabled individuals should be included in government policies to educate and create more awareness as this will help blur and address barriers which hinder general perception on disability.   

Walks away. 
Next time you see someone, look beyond the physical......Some people with visible disability are healthier than you can comprehend. People are fighting battles on the inside you may never know. Discover people for yourself.

Sharonxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...