Wednesday 13 January 2016

WHOM DO YOU ENVY?

Image result for envy
When I hear people say the phrase ‘I don’t envy you at all’ (jokingly or not), I usually don’t pay too much attention to the discussion However, something happened a couple of days ago that actually got me thinking about the word “Envy”. What does it really mean to envy someone? Is there such thing as healthy or envy?

Have you noticed that when you envy someone, there is every tendency that person has something you wish you had? Hmmm the emotion that comes with envy can be very uncomfortable, but instructive at the same time. Below is what  played out between two of my colleagues the other day. Let’s call them Mr M and Ms J.

Mr M: Hmmm Ms J you dey pepper this New Year oo eh wetin you dey photocopy for there?
Ms J: Really? As I dey struggle with my thesis so? This school no go kill me. I don tire
Mr M: Awww I no envy you at all at all. Shebi na you wan go school? Na your cross carry am
Ms J: Talk true say you no dey envy me?
Mr M: Me? No oo If say you don collect the certificate, na dat time I go envy you well well but for now, we dey the same level.
This for me is one level of envy. It cuts across different aspects and stages of life. It is that feeling of this or that achievement should be mine and not yours. The thought of why should the other have it and not them. Envy is such an uncomfortable feeling that breeds what I call ‘Unhealthy competition’.
Do you envy your friend who just got married? The one whose job allows him/her to travel all the time or the one who never gets to struggle as much as you do? Do you envy your colleague who gets to undergo professional using his spare time or the one who is taking night classes towards getting an MSc/MBA or the one who does a lot more  presentation than you? …………….
Envy us that feeling of discontent. The reaction that it projects is negative and it is always to your detriment. Envy limits you from appreciating someone else’s ability, achievements and success. On the other hand, APPRECIATION helps you see things prom a better perspective. Appreciation is freeing and limitless and opens doors to great achievements for you.
We all get jealous right? Now, how envious of the people around you are you? Is there such thing as ‘healthy envy’? How disastrous is envy? Whom do you envy and why? Share your thoughts please. 

Sharonxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...