Monday 18 April 2016

I walk with style ....... I walk with a smile


My parent's world came crashing when the result of my diagnosis was presented to them at the hospital.. I was a little girl .... bubbly, innocent and beautiful but completely oblivious of what was happening around me. Suddenly everything STOPPED!!! 

Nothing ever prepared my family for the challenges ahead, there are no manuals, handbook, set rules nor centers that give support to persons with disability and their families. In fact, in this part of the world, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. 


What kind of life will I have? How do my parent's raise a disabled child .... one the doctor's have declared crippled? Do they have to give up their job, career and business just to care for me? How will they raise funds to relocate, buy me necessary aids, and set me up generally for my new status? Is there any help out there? ........... These and more questions clouded their mind. Hmmm If you ask me .... na who I go ask?

As I grew older, I started to realise that I was different. Gradually, I began to understand that U have mobility issues. My teen and early adult years were the most difficult for me. I cried more, threw tantrums, asked questions and got answers that didn't hold water. It was the most difficult, painful and saddest period in my life. I wasn't just going through the pain alone, my family was too. I was difficult for my parents. I saw blame, guilt and regrets in their eyes.

For those who have been hit by the gift of disability, no matter the form it came, you will understand the loss of some of your abilities, independence, freedom and trying to find balance between what  you can and cannot do. Most persons at this stage fall into deep depression one that if not properly managed may lead to a loss of life.

Some of my depressions came from having to use my hand to support my leg when walking, my inability to maintain stable balance for long when standing, when clothes don't fit/sit nicely on me, the frustration I feel when shopping for shoes .... I sometimes find myself crying when I can't find what fits.

In the mist of my anxiety, fear, depression, bullying, discrimination, the pain and loss over the years, I have progressed in my journey to self acceptance, love and independence, I have come up with the idea to help and be a voice by writing, sharing, motivating and encouraging and inspiring other persons living with a disability who are who are still trying to cope and live with it. 

My articles and video blog teachings will also extend to families, the general public, institutions, organizations etc. This is because I understand first hand what it means to live with a disability, I know about the limited / lack of resources, informations, therapy, chancellors, books and rehabilitations centers in this country.    

I am also aware of society exclusions and all the accessibility challenge we experience. How about indifference, lack of support, care, education and empowerment from our government, families, friends and organizations. 

I believe that by putting out these informations, creating awareness and voicing out our challenges and struggles, things will begin to change for the better in this country.

I have beaten the odds that rose against me, I live every day with the mindset that I can do and become anything I want to be. I want to help others get to that place...... a place of self LOVE and ACCEPTANCE. 

Through it all,

Today I walk with STYLE ...... I walk with a SMILE.
I am an overcomer!!

It's a new week!!! walk with style ..... Walk with a smile!!!

This is a bit if my story. Please share your's or that of your family member, friend or neighbour. I cannot wait to read it.

Sharonxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...