Sunday 28 December 2014

#BRINGBACKOURGIRLS.....

It was on the 25th of December, I was having I was having lunch at home with my family. After a while, I excused myself to go have a wee. On my way out back into the yard to join my family at the table, I paused for a while just to take another look at everyone at the table. While standing there leaning against the wall, I noticed that my dad was the only male at the table. The rest of us were female...... the female group comprised of my grandma, my mum and my sisters.
My two brothers and my brother in law were having "guys time" in the living room. I watched with keen interest as my dad laughed and chatted with his women. I remember getting a missed call from my dad on the 20th of December, When I called him back he said Ify I called to remind you that thursday is 25th and you have to be home. I laughed and said daddy is that why you gave me six missed calls? Yes daughter you know how we do it....... I have called your sisters and brothers and I am expecting a full house. I replied yes sir and hung up.


My dad loves his girls to bits, he is proud of us all at any given time, he loves to show us off to all and sundry. I one of his daughters is absent from any family gathering for whatever reason, my dad will not be himself. 

Bearing this in mind this holiday season, I quietly thought about our Chibok girls,  I thought about their parents, siblings, relatives and friends. I thought about the pains and agony their family must be going through. This this a season where memories are made and shared and these girls won't be in it. Some of their parents have died already not knowing where their daughters are. It is easier to grieve knowing that your loved one is lying in their grave However, it is going to be a lifetime traumer knowing they are missing and not getting needed help and support from the government to find them.

As I stood there watching my parent enjoy the company of their girls, one question crossed my mind...... It could be any of you. Yes it could have been anyone. I am sure that the smiles on our faces won't remain if any member of our family went missing. No child deserves to go that way......It's been over six months and Nigerians have not forgotten.... #bringbackourgirls.....

Sharon xxx.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...