Thursday 15 January 2015

TIPS FOR DISSERTATION/PROJECT WRITING…. PART I


Hello darlings…. How una dey today? Today’s post is about knowledge **sharing**….. In my Yoruba accent…. Hehehe!!! Okay by this time last year guys I was writing my project… hmmm… that project was one of the most challenging thing I have had to do in my life.  Yes!!! It was a primary research and conducting primary research in Nigeria? “no be here ooo…. I suffer no be small. I waka taya! Write letters so tey my biro finish, I beg, cry hmmm only to get information sef na problem. My people!!! This na story for another day. Back to the matter.

It was tough but at the end of the day, I am so proud of myself…. I did great!!! I also learnt a lot through the process such that will take me through future research(s). If you are already on the move and you are getting good feedback from your supervisor, a few of the tips listed might still come in handy. However, if you are still struggling, confused and at a cross road, you never know just look through.
Below are some of the tips one of my lecturer Dr. Marie gave me. I hope you find them helpful. Please before you make any changes consult your supervisor biko!!!.

What is a research design?
1. Research topic and title
Ø  This decision is up to you depending on your course of study.
2. Research problem                   
Ø  Research aim
Ø  Research question(s)
Ø  Discussion of relevance: Scientific & Societal
Ø  Definition of key-concepts
Ø  Indicators/Measures
3. Theory
Ø  Use theories that can be applicable to your topic.
4. Hypothesis/Hypotheses
Ø  Using the theory to predict the answer
5. Method of data collection
Ø  Method or combination of methods
Ø  Cases selected
Ø  Source of indicators/measures /data
6. Method of analysis
Qualitative, quantitative or both?
Case study, Comparative analysis, Descriptive or a mixture? 
How do you find a research topic?
Reflect on your interests:
Ø  Which other discipline are you studying (if on a joint honours)?
Ø  Is there a particular personal experience you want to focus on? (This is dependent on your discipline.  
Ø  Is there a particular field/branch of your course you are interested in?
Ø  Is there a particular theoretical approach (or method) you want to use?
Ø  Is there a part of the world you are interested in?
Ø  Is there a reading that grabbed your attention?
Ø  What are your hobbies and can you connect one of these to your research project? 
Ø  Find inspiration in the news/Magazines/equipment’s……
Ø  Discuss your ideas with your colleagues and supervisors. But remember this is YOUR project and no one can (or should) define it for you.
What does a dissertation look like?
Typical structure:
Ø  Cover page, acknowledgements, contents page
Ø  Introduction (app. 1,000 words)
Ø  Chapter 1: Theory and Method(s)  (app. 1,500-2,000 words)
Ø  Chapter 2: Literature Review (app. 1,500 words)
Ø  Chapter 3: Core Chapter A (2,000 words)
Ø  Chapter 4: Core Chapter B (2,000 words)
Ø  Chapter 5: Core Chapter C (2,000 words)
Ø  Conclusion (app. 1,000 words)
Ø  Bibliography
Ø  [Appendices]
NOTE: The word limit above is not applicable to everyone especially if you are in Nigeria. I studied in the UK and during my time we were given a 10,000 +/- 10% word limit. This is just a guide on how to better manage your word usage.
What is a literature review?
A critical analysis of the wider academic literature pertaining to your research topic(s). In other words, you are assessing what has been written, so far, about your research topic.
The literature review should situate your own research project within the existing academic corpus and fulfil two central objectives:
1). It needs to convince your reader/marker that you are fully aware of the existing literature around your topic and are going to write a piece of work that is informed by this literature;
2). It needs to identify a gap which you are going to address in your dissertation or, at least, underline the originality of your own (theoretical, methodological or analytical) perspective. Note that this does not mean that you necessarily need to criticise the existing literature but, rather, that you are aware of what your own research can add to it.
This is something you should start thinking about as soon as you have determined your research topic, as it should guide your research and reading. Make sure you take some notes and reflect on what you are reading – how does it relate to your research? What are the debates in the academic literature? What big questions has it sought to answer? What questions might it have not addressed yet? What analytical, theoretical or methodological perspectives have been used so far?

To be continued........

Sharon xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

PERFECTION IS TAILOR MADE

I visited a friend during the festive period and she offered to serve me rice of which I obliged.  The question that followed made me sm...